Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 10:19:54 +0000
From: Libretto List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: infrared

on 22/9/00 3:50 am, Pres Waterman at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 23:45:14 -0400
> From: "Pres Waterman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: infrared
>

>>> Yes, Toshiba has a 95 driver. I believe it is called tosir95.exe but if
> you
>>> really really need to know I can look it up tonight.
>>
>> Id love it if youd be able to find it and pass the link on to me, I looked
>> at tosh's site and couldnt find it in the search at all.
>

> OK. It is IRPCI95.exe for the PCI-based L100 series for Win95
>
> Here is the readme: <SNIPPED>

So you would have to install that first, and then install the MSIR2.0
software, or am I getting confused =O)
Did you just grab that from Toshiba's site then, cos I still cant find the
damn thing! =O)

>>> I have even played an MPEG video
>>> ( poorly ) over an infrared connection.
>>
>> I take it that playback of a DivX movie is out of the question on a 166MHz
>> processor? What if I clocked it to 266MHz?
>> Has anyone tried one of the Margi MPEG2 DVD decoder cards on a lib?
>
> I have used the Margi DVD card with a CNF Card-port DVD player successfully
> on a stock L100. Not perfect but usually OK. Some skips in the audio.

Worth noting.
I remember reading somewhere about a Sony CD-ROm and SCSI PCMCIA card which
was a great size for the lib, and of course it doubled up as a portable CD
player. Does anyone know of anything like this for DVD drives? I know that
you can get small ones, but all the ones that I have seen are a single
device on the interface. It would be great to be able to hook up a Zip drive
to it as well when Im at home.

On another note, I tried to play back a DivX movie on my lib last night. Had
to put the MP3 audio quality down to minimum, and the movie did skip a lot,
but I think that if I clock it to 266MHz it might be able to cope without
the skipping.

So...

Has anyone clocked their 100CT this high, and what is their experiences of
using it at this speed?
Is there time limit before it will crash / lock up / whateveer due to the
heat, or can you get away with it?
I tend to use it on the enhanced dock a lot, and the 3COM Megahertz modem
card come heat up a log cabin in the rocky's! =O)

> Well, the problem is it is sharing COM1. As the instructions state you
> select an unused port like COM3 to look for the infrared device, then MSIR20
> attaches to that COM3 and makes a COM4 available to the applications.

Right oh. Ive changed the COM port on the dock to be assigned as COM2 so I
hopefully wont have any problems when I try to install the Infra Red AGAIN!
=O)
Just need to get the Toshiba file now.

Cheers

Dave