Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 16:23:39 +0900
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Outlook default browser problem

I do not have a solution, but I have a few more observations
that may lead somebody else to a solution.

> I am not sure what I have done to get this behavior.
> I think it is related to the following.
> I had Opera installed at one time, then uninstalled it.
> When I right-click over any file icon the top entry in the context window is for
>Opera.
> The reason it is at the top is that I have spelled it with a leading zero instead of
>oh.
> When I doubleclick a text file icon in Explorer I get a dialog asking me to locate
>Opera.
> The initial path it fills on the input line of that dialog is C:\
> This matches the window that opens from OE when I click an http: link.

I removed from the registry the lines that caused this behavior in the Explorer.
Now when I doubleclick on a text file in the Explorer it opens the WordPad.
The OE continues to open a C:\ window when I click on an http: link.

When I click on a mailto: link that goes to the Netscape mail reader.
This is correct, that is my default mail reader.

When I click on an attached .jpg file, it launches IE,
so it knows how to find IE, at least for the attached files.

As PERL guys like to say, there is more than one way to do it.
And each Microsoft programmer has found his own way.

/ken
> you won't find a way to override this behaviour.

I was born an optimist, and some of my optimism had survived
the encounters with Microsoft software. So I tried OE.
My default browser is Netscape 4.7.
Continuing in the spirit of a riddle:

When I click on any link in OE mail, it opens a window displaying my C: drive.
I repeat.
When I click on any link in OE mail, it opens a window displaying my C: drive.

Not the Explorer window. It is the window I get when I doubleclick on the drive
outside the Explorer. So, there is a way to override the launching of IE.

I am not sure what I have done to get this behavior.
I think it is related to the following.
I had Opera installed at one time, then uninstalled it.
When I right-click over any file icon the top entry in the context window is for Opera.
The reason it is at the top is that I have spelled it with a leading zero instead of
oh.
When I doubleclick a text file icon in Explorer I get a dialog asking me to locate
Opera.
The initial path it fills on the input line of that dialog is C:\
This matches the window that opens from OE when I click a link.
So it must be trying to launch Opera but it does not find it.
At your own risk, you may want to try importing to your registry from a text file like
this:

textfile.reg
===
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\0pera] <=== 0 zero
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\0pera\command] <=== 0 zero
@="C:\\PROGRA~1\\<Opera folder>\\Opera.exe \"%1\"" <=== O oh
===

/ken