Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:49:34 +0100
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Cheung)
Subject: ff1100 experience and advice needed

Well, I bought a Libretto ff 1100CT from Japan lately and have to admit I had
tonnes of trouble with it.  Oh, it was 2nd hand; there's tonnes of 1100CTs
going 2nd
hand in Japan for about 550GBP (98000 yen)

Before starting on my epic journey, I'll have to point out that my normal
PC card CDROM did not work; first thought it was faulty but it wasn't.  I have
a suspicion
that it only takes Tosh's proprietary pc card cdroms but I've heard from some
japanese
newsgroups that Sony Vaio cdrom should be fine.  In my case, I only had
(luckily) my
Vaio's usb floppy (which worked fine as a legacy device and allows me to
boot!!) to
boot.

Firstly, because the basic system is Win98 Japanese, that was the first to go;
changed to Win98 English.  All devices worked, no problems; you do have to
manually install some drivers which thankfully are provided on a separate
cdrom, but
because win98 isn't as multi-language friendly as Win2k, not all dialog boxes
could
be read, even with NJStar.  Still, camera, iShuttle (remote) and that useless
smart media
drive worked.

To be perfect, Win2k had to be installed.  Amazingly, Win2k recognised
everything, bar
that wierd smart media drive!!  Win2k now allows me better multi-tasking (try
transfering files
via network and working at the same time in win98..!!!) and seems to be the
same speed
as win98.

Notes: For those wanting win2k, you need to get the bios update, modem driver
(which 2k
doesn't recognise) and the smartmedia card driver; latter from manufacturer
(not Tosh)
and others from the Tosh site.

Problems (and there's plenty!).. my camera despite being detected does _not_
work in Netmeeting or Livemedia.  If I try installing the win98 Scoopy drivers,
it doesn't
results in the dreaded BSD.  I also can't seem to access the hotkeys for
hibernation, standby etc, etc
even after the Toshiba hardware thingies.  ishuttle doesn't work (but Tosh
explicitly said that
iShuttle isn't supported on win2k, even if you were to buy the Win2k drivers
disk - yes, unlike
Sony Japan, Tosh Japan wants to bleed you dry!) but then, I'm not too worried
about that; how many of you would lug your ff1100 around to listen to MP3s?!??
I'm sure preference
would be given to a dedicated MP3 player.

The camera is the one that worries me because I would like to get that working
in win2k.  If anyone
who's installed win2k and got the camera working, can you give us a brief
account of what you did?
BTW, Livemedia supplied on the CDROM does _not_ work in win2k; you need to
download (free
thankfully!) Livemedia version 1.6 in order to install it.  I have also heard
from japanese discussion
groups that someone has (implied) got the camera working in 2k but said that it
can only be used
for video, _not_ stills.  Element of truth in it since after installing LM 1.6
on 2k, I notice that I get an error
message if I try to start the still capture program.

At the moment, I operate 2systems, win98 english and win2k english/japanese; I
would prefer to
stick to just win2k so if anyone has managed to solve the camera prob, do let
us know!!

Much thanks!

Mike
p.s. For those wanting to install a larger disk and do not have any h/d model
recommendations from
one who's had experience, I strongly suggest you open the machine up first to
examine the physical
shape of the hard disk; note how the EIDE pin portion is exposed and does not
have any metal
shell protecting it; quite important that since I made the mistake of buying a
fujitsu who's metal
shell extends past the pins.  This takes up the space the video cable needs and
now my machine
has a big lump!!  Doesn't seem to be too destructive (might harm the screen
when I shut it htough)
so I've left it as is.

* Please visit the web site of the Financial Times at:              *
*                         http://www.ft.com                         *
* For UK personal finance, please visit http://www.ftyourmoney.com  *
* This E-Mail is intended for the use of the addressee only and may *
* contain confidential information. If you are not the intended     *
* recipient, you are hereby notified that any use or dissemination  *
* of this communication is strictly prohibited.                     *
* If you receive this transmission in error, please notify us       *
* immediately then delete this E-Mail.                              *
                  *
* [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                                 *