Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 13:44:20 +0100 (GMT/BST)
From: Digby Tarvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Preferred version of Linux on 110?

RedHat (5.2) was the first package I installed on my Libretto, and I must
say that I was less than impressed. The installation method was very
clumsy, and when ever I called their helpdesk for advice, there was always
some reason why they wouldn't support the machine I was using. The policy
seems to be 'if it didn't work, we don't support it'.

I think if you manage to get the box open by youself, you are already
ahead of most people on their help desk...

For the record, I eventually managed to get it installed on my libretto
by installing it on a desktop machine first, and then using a parallel
port based IP connection and did a network install. I could not use my
PCMCIA LAN or SCSI card, as access to any PCMCIA peripheral required
modules to be read of a second floppy - and as the floppy drive itself
is PCMCIA on the libretto....

I now have SUSE, although I have also heard good things about
Mandrake. I havn't needed to try the SUSE support yet.

As far as I know, they are all based on the same core stuff - the choice
of distribution is mostly a choice of support, packaging and installation
facilities (and probably price)..

> Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 20:47:34 -0700 (PDT)
> From: David Chien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Preferred version of Linux on 110?
> 
> Doesn't matter one bit as they'll all run and install on your Libretto.
> 
> However, RedHat is always a 'solid' choice given that there's always some port
> available for anything new out.
> 
> My own preference is for SUSE, but only because they had a 'nice' install back
> in version 5.x for booting from a DOS partition directory install.  For the
> most part however, most modern versions of Linux have gotten so good, they
> pretty much just install and go (at least for me).
> 
> which means that when you encounter any trouble, expect to learn lots of Linux,
> on the other hand..
> 
> d =)
> 
-- 
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.cthulhu.dircon.co.uk




**************************************************************
http://libretto.basiclink.com - Libretto mailing list                
http://libretto.basiclink.com/archive - Archives
http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/portable/faq.html - FAQ         
                 -------UNSUBSCRIBE-------                            
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=cmd:unsubscribe 
            --------UNSUBSCRIBE DIGEST------
Use above but add DIGEST to the subject line...                           
**************************************************************

Reply via email to