Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 12:09:25
From: "neil barnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Win98 Toshiba drivers on 20GB HDD setup et al


>Neil was just mentioning that he had a problem setting up Mandrake on a 
>70CT
>that he didn't have with his 50CT.  Could there be a set of problems the
>70CT has with the old Win98 drivers that the 50CTs don't?  Why else would
>Toshiba pull those old drivers from their support page and offer new ones?
>

I believe, but cannot prove, that the problem with the mandrake installation 
is down to the fact that the 70 processor has mmx and the 50 doesn't - and I 
think that the extra code required to handle that is sufficient to trip an 
out-of-memory error.

I suppose the mmx instructions could be significant to the drivers, though 
they are supposed to be invisble to code which doesn't use them (they share 
address space with the FP stack, I think) - maybe someone used something in 
a flag or control register which differs between the two processors?

_________________________________________________________________
Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com




**************************************************************
http://libretto.basiclink.com - Libretto mailing list
http://libretto.basiclink.com/archive - Archives
http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/portable/faq.html - FAQ
                 -------TO UNSUBSCRIBE-------
Reply to any of the list messages. The reply mail should be
addressed to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] - Then replace any text
on the message's subject line: cmd:unsubscribe
              --------TO UNSUBSCRIBE DIGEST------
Do above but with this on subject line: cmd:unsubscribe digest
**************************************************************

Reply via email to