Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 23:58:49 +0800
From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Internet via WAP (Was Re: [LIB] The simple things!)

At 07:37 AM 25/01/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 18:33:55 +0300
>From: Vitaly Pavlenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Internet via WAP (Was Re: [LIB] The simple things!)
>
>Hi!
>
>> From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>> WAP calls are about half to a third the cost of normal data/voice calls
>> round here plus its a normal TCP/IP connection (going
>
>Raymond, could you please explain the setup procedure in more detail? If nobody else
>is interested, then off the list. Actually, data/fax and WAP calls are currently the
>same price for my operator in Moscow, Russia, but I want to be ready. They only give
>setup instructions for WAP on the phone, which I don't need at all. It's a Libretto
>mailing list, right? :)

I can only speak for the way Telstra Australia do it, I hope some if not all of it
will be useful to you! I was lucky enough to speak to a very nice Wireless Data help
guy (I did the usual bluff my way past the clueless first level techs with a really
weird question). Whilst he didn't know exactly how to set up a laptop for WAP
(according to him I was the first to ask), he did point out that the WAP connection
should just be a normal TCP/IP dialup connection and gave me the phone number of the
WAP gateway to try and set it up. It turns out though that if you sign up and say your
phone is NOT one that understands autoconfiguration then they send you an SMS with the
WAP gateway number and whatnot anyway (at least they do round here). The procedure
that followed was:

1: Download the modem drivers for your mobile phone's IrDA modem (or bluetooth modem
if you're one of the newer ones).
2: Install them, make sure you can dial up to and connect to a normal ISP.
3: Create a dial up entry. Make sure its only routing TCP/IP, all IP details are
server assigned and dialup server type is PPP. The phone number you use is that of the
WAP gateway and use standard authentication.
4: Dial using that entry but enter a blank username and password. The WAP accounting
is actually done through CallerID.

And thats it! You'll now have a standard (NAT'd) TCP/IP connection to the Internet! Of
coures, if it works and you're able to telnet and surf and ftp and whatnot it *might*
be an idea to ask the wireless data guys at your telco if thats OK just in case (I
dunno about where you are but round here accounts have been terminated for breach of
terms of use) ... I rang them up afterwards (spoke to the same guy too) and told him I
could do all this and if it was allowed in the terms of use, he was surprised it was
all possible but said go for it ;-)

Hope this helps!

- Raymond

---

|                 | "Does fuzzy logic tickle?"                |
|   ___           | "My HDD has no reverse. How do I backup?" |
| /  \ a y b o t  |          [EMAIL PROTECTED]             |
|                 |          HTTP://www.raybot.net            |
| ICQ: 31756092   |   Need help? Visit #Windows98 on DALNet!  |