Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 09:12:28 -0500
From: "Lawrence Young" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Libretto 110 questions

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Chien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Libretto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 10:30 PM

> Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 19:21:47 -0800 (PST)
> From: David Chien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [LIB] Libretto 110 questions
>
> > (1) What is better for the Libretto in terms of machine/battery life
span
> > when it is not used and shut down (e. g. overnight): if I leave the AC
> > connected (two LEDS lighting), or if I isolate it from all current (no
LED
> > lights)?
>
>   Machine, doesn't matter.  Battery, continous charging of systems is not
> recommended.  Better to let it sit hibernated to disk, suspended to RAM
(will
> use energy) or simply off overnight unless you need a full charge at the
> beginning of the day.
>
>   The Libretto batteries and charging system isn't as smart as the latest
> designs, unfortunatly.
>
>   Also, continously charging and dischargin within a narrow range will
reduce
> battery lifepsans vs. full discharges and recharges.

I beg the differ. Libretto batteries are the same type of battery used in
most new laptops. It's Li-ion cell. One thing that separates Li-ion battery
with other rechargeable battery is that Li-ion battery does not suffer
either over-charge (built-in circuit to prevent that) or memory effect. My
third battery is on AC 24/7. It has been that way for almost two years now
and still going strong. My other two batteries failed in less than two years
because I didn't do so. The Libretto will keep drain the battery in a rate
of 8% per day even when shutdown.