Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 06:18:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Kevin McClelland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Cell phones and Libretto

On Mon, 22 April 2002, "Lou S" wrote

> Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 17:47:42 -0400
> From: "Lou S" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Cell phones and Libretto
>
> I just spoke w/a Motorola rep who stated that their
V60 & V120 cell phones
> will allow USB or Serial port connections to a
notebook PC using Verizon's
> service. It seems there is no Infra-red or PCMCIA
connection anymore. Has
> anyone used either of these phones? Any comments on
them? I'm searching out
> info on the Nokia's also and wonder if they offer any
PC/Net capable CP's,
> if anyone knows please reply. - Thanks

I know the Nokias support IR for modem use. I think the
new Panasonics do as well. I do know that AT&T has some
strange quirks for wireless web use on the phones. I
can't remember what manufacturer it was, but I seem to
recall that AT&T uses analog for data transmission
still, and most of the current phones use digital for
data, including some of the ones offered for AT&T
service. That may change with the changeover to GSM on
the AT&T network, if they can ever get it to work
right. I think some of the Ericssons also support IR,
but I am not very familiar with them in the US.