Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 10:10:55 +0800
From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] "Hardware" hibernation in L110

At 05:11 AM 26/04/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 08:06:52 -0400
>From: "Gennadiy Tsygan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: [LIB] "Hardware" hibernation in L110
>
>Deleting cookies or temp files will not give you Blue screen. The worst
>effect of loosing cookies will be that web sites remembering you login and
>preferences will forget them until you login manually next time. I had the
>Blue screen because Windows page file was damaged by hibernation. Deleting
>cookies will not save any significant amount of space anyway.

I don't think the problem is deleting the cookies or temp files. That in
itself isn't a problem because Windows will just recreate them as necessary
or whatnot. The danger is if they're corrupted. Windows sees the file
there, it sees that the header is intact (which is quite possible) so it
might just assume the file is fine ... then it hits the corruption. Written
properly, it should just junk the file and start again however you don't
know what might happen ... especially if the file is mainly text (such as a
cookie) and gets partially overwritten with text (quite possible if you've
got a lot of text in RAM).

Its a bit like the good ol' C programmer's nightmare ... you've got a
pointer which is wrong but you don't know it and it gives you the right
answer most of the time because it just so happens to point to stuff that
looks awful similar to what it was supposed to point to so your program
doesn't actually realize anything is wrong until you have to demonstrate it
to your boss ...

- Raymond

P.S. I'm running a bit behind on the list, apologies if I'm answering
questions that have already been answered!

---

|                 | "Does fuzzy logic tickle?"                |
|   ___           | "My HDD has no reverse. How do I backup?" |
| /  \ a y b o t  |          [EMAIL PROTECTED]             |
|                 |          HTTP://www.raybot.net            |
| ICQ: 31756092   |   Need help? Visit #Windows98 on DALNet!  |