Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 07:07:31 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] [OT] mail routing...

> > From Neil Barnes:
> > Which puzzles me: why does the server decide that everything is > being
>originated by richard@birmingham?

>From: Pres Waterman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>recieve and remail the emails. Perhaps this is the account Daniel is >using
>to remail. But I thouht he was based in the US???

Back when these Klez posts started coming to my mailbox, both from the list
and not, I began looking into the headers of posts to the list generally,
and those of infected non-list mail I was getting..  I found that for the
same piece of mail coming from the list server, 2 people reported finding 2
different values for the "for <email address>" section of the list server's
header.  And the value I found in the header of the very same post was
different from those two.  So evidently the server is not using the same
address in that section of the header for every individual email, or group
of email messages it transmits.  I wrote one or two posts pointing this out.
  I also went through older posts saved in my mailbox, and found 2-3
different addresses for that value.

I've just gone back through all of my saved list posts for the past 2
months, and again, found many different address values in that part of the
list headers.  Here's an example of the relevant routing portion of the
header that the list server inserts:

3. 0) with ESMTP id 54092180 for [EMAIL PROTECTED];  Mon, 3 Jun 2002
16:05:17 –0700

And here’s a list of the last address & time/date info from posts from June
to present:

for [EMAIL PROTECTED];  Mon, 3 Jun 2002 16:05:17 –0700
for [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Fri, 12 Jul 2002 11:58:20 –0700
for [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:08:10 -0700
for [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Tue, 23 Jul 2002 09:03:10 -0700
for [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Thu, 1 Aug 2002 22:10:08 -0700
for [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Wed, 14 Aug 2002 05:31:08 -0700 PDT

Neil’s reported these two:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]; Mon, 29 Jul 2002 > >06:55:21 -0700 PDT
richard@birmingham  <???????????????????>

Raymond reported this one:

for [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Mon, 29 Jul 2002 06:44:40 >-0700 PDT

A quick search of the archives show that 5 out of 9 of these addresses
belong to list members who have posted one or more times.   I’m guessing the
other 4 were/are members who never posted.

At first I was wondering if the same address value would show up in posts
from the same people.  But it turned out that data/time was more the common
thread.  Groups of posts for days at a time would come through with the same
value, then change.  But that doesn’t explain why 2 list members and myself
all received the same post recently with totally different address values in
that part of the list header.

I think this pretty much rules out this particular address value as being a
vaule that represents the email address of the person who originally posted
the message.  It seems Dan’s list server software pretty much wipes most
everything from the original email header it receives, and creates a new one
that contains little, if any data from the original.  How it comes up with
those "for " values is a mystery.

The whole deal of there being two Libretto lists, as Pres mentioned, is
another issue.  From what I've read and vaguely remember, an extirely
different Librtetto list was set up as Yahoo group a couple years back.  It
died a quick death if I'm not wrong.  Posts were made to it that didn't come
to this list as I recall.  But I don't think that list exists at this point,
does it?

Matt