Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 08:54:52 +0100
From: barnacle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Installing SuSE 9.1 On Libretto L100 - MORE INFO

On Tuesday 15 June 2004 05:57, you wrote:
> Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 11:41:09 -0700
> From: John Liu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Installing SuSE 9.1 On Libretto L100 - MORE INFO
>
> Here is some more information on where in the boot process it all goes
> wrong.  I've typed in below the last 20 or so lines displayed before
> the kernel panic.
>
> RAMDISK: compressed image found at block 0
> VFS: mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
> [1] illegal instruction mount -n -tproc...
> [1] illegal instruction mount -n -tsysfs...
> [1] illegal instruction cat /proc/cmdline
> starting udev
> /linuxrc: cannot create /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug: directory nonexistent
> creating devices
> [1] illegal instruction cat /proc/cmdline
> [1] illegal instruction insmod /lib/modu...
> [1] illegal instruction insmod /lib/modu...
> [1] illegal instruction insmod /lib/modu...
> [1] illegal instruction insmod /lib/modu...
> [1] illegal instruction expr substr ${ro...
> [1] illegal instruction unmount -n /proc
> [1] illegal instruction unmount -n /sys
> kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on hda2
>
> Again, the desktop PC that I used to install SuSE on this Libretto's
> HDD obviously has very different CPU, hardware, RAM, etc than the
> Libretto.  I had hoped SuSE would still boot, so I could go in and
> change some of those specs.

It looks as if you've installed a version which needs a 686-class (as opposed
to the Pentium/586) processor to run. I'm not familiar with Suse, but most of
the others seem to offer a choice as to which processor to optimise to (e.g.
Redhat will work on 386, Mandrake on 586). This may be an automatic choice by
Suse; have you checked their system requirements? It could be that 9.1 is a
686-only distribution.

The other problem you're likely to have when you get it installed is that the
video drivers won't be what the libretto expects; if you have an option, make
sure that you load the drivers (Neomagic, I think, but not familiar with the
100) and set it to start in text mode so you can do a video installation
after it's working.

Mandrake may be a good choice for you - it offers an 'install from HD' option
which only uses the floppy to boot from, as does Redhat, I believe.

Neil