Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 01:29:50 -0500
From: john <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Yet another question on formatting larger than 8 gig HD

dm wrote:
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:09:24 -0700
From: "dm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On my last HD expansion, I put in a 20g HD.
as I recall, i formatted in the LIb 70ct using windows 95 (!) floppy, after
FDISK from there.
Then, I removed it to the desktop and set up the second partition for the
rest of the drive, minus the small area for hibernation.
Of course, the large 11 or so gig partition still needed EZ-drive overlay to
work.

So, now I want  to go to a larger drive (40) or so.  I was wondering,
If I now go to W98SE, then format in the libby from a floppy but this time
create the extra partitions all at 8g, would I still need the overlay?  Each
segment is the same size as the first, maximum size partition?  Of course, I
will probably use my older copy of Partition Magic.  This would elminate one
more layer in the BIOS and would force me to keep my files organized.

I'll be using the LIb 70 mostly for travel computing.  It will serve as my
digital photo storage dump and maybe upload to web device.  A little MS
office work, but not much.  Lots of ebooks.

Thanks, all!
Dave

not really--win98 will see the drive. just be sure to put a 50MB free space at the end of the drive since if the bios ever hibernates the drive it'll see it as a 8 gig and write the data to the end of it.

john