Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:06:23 -0800 (PST)
From: Matt Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Win2000 boot & performance on 110

Hey Philip,

At the top here, I just came out of hibernation for
only the 2nd time, and like the last time, the mouse
pointer turns to about a 20x20 pixel square of tiny
colored speckles on a transparent background... weird.
 Last time it went away after rebooting.

--- Philip Nienhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hmmm Matt, your messages come in three times in my
> mailbox lately. List server problems I'd guess?

Yeah... a lot of posts have been doing this in the
past few weeks.  Dan's still struggling with the old
server software getting blocked up by SPAM, and for
some reason causes these multiple posts when he tries
to iron out the SPAM blockage.

> But then of course, you probably don't have much SW
> installed yet, like:
> - McAfee AV
> - Zonelarm
> - LAN drivers & connections
> - MS IntelliMouse
> - Flat panel rotation software.
> Especially McAfee takes _ages_ to load. And setting
> up the LAN and
> TCP/IP stack and searching for network connections
> (and having McAfee
> think about those) is also a time-consuming affair.

I never install virus software do that it sets itself
at boot to do a hundred different functions.  That's
got to be the number one drain on every low resource
system.  I've just been very aware of what may, and
what may not cause infections, and have only brought
up virus software to check some file I'm not sure of
before I run it.  I've done pretty well that way
through the years.

But I ran into a virus browsing the net recently
that's totally revolutionary.  Something called
MHTMLRedir.Exploit virus that facilitated downloading
and running a virus laden executable >without any
input from me<!  The virus laden HTML file was just
named index2(1).htm, but that downloaded a file named
atiphexx.exe that contained the W32.Spybot.Worm virus.
 It set my IE home page to a SPAM site, and deleted my
primary dialup configuration.  Whole other long story.

I do have networking set up.  But yeah... virus
software will want to auto-check all those connections
on a real time basis.  I can do without that.  I do
have Norton Personal Firewall 2001 installed. But it
consumes very little of the system resources.  And I
used to have my Logitech optical/cordless mouse
connected on older setups, but never found it sucked
any power.  Don't know about Intellimouse.  But fully
functional virus software is a killer.

> Again, have a look at Vorck's web page. His stripped
> W2K made for a really *big* performance boost.
> And there's NuHi Lite, another IE stripper, but it
> doesn't strip all of IE (URL on Vorck's page),
> typing a URL in the a window's address bar
> still loads the web site. With Vorck's patches, that
> won't happen.

I guess I jumped the gun in posting this now, as I'm a
bit weary from the problems that sucked a lot of time
and effort working out problems with this old 233MHz
110 MB and the W2K installation.  I need a bit of a
break before I get to tweaking things a bit more.
I'll go back and work Vorck's info, and check out NuHi
Lite.  Is that freeware?

One thing I was going to ask was whether or not it's
okay to spray contact cleaner on the various sockets
on the Libby MBs?  The wiring harness in the 100CT
case I got wouldn't power the 110 MB and pars from my
old 100.  I had to swap the harness out of the 100
before I could get the new MB to work.  Then I've been
finding that I've had to reset the 32MB RAM upgrade
4-5 times now.  And out of nowhere, W2K will tell me
that it's successfully un-docked the system.  I guess
the plug contacts must have oxidized sitting around
somewhere.

So I'm thinking of picking up some contact cleaning
spray.  But the stuff I've gotten from Radio Shack in
the past leaves a layer of slimy oil.  I'll have to
see if I can find an electronics supply shop.  But can
someone give me some feedback on this?

Thx,

Matt