Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:18:14 -0800 (PST)
From: David Chien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] New owner here.

      My site linked below.

      Any PC OS which has memory requirements that the L70 can handle (only
32MB max).  Thus, forget Windows 2003 server (which requires a lot more RAM),
but you can install just about every OS from DOS through Linux just fine.

      Keep in mind that the limited RAM keeps the available useful choices down
to the older versions - eg. Windows 98, ME, 2000.

      Although you can get WinXP to run with just 32MB of RAM, it certainly
won't be very fast or useful -- too much HD swapping.  Here, I'd either get a
L100/110 with 64MB or RAM, or something more modern.  Unfortunately, it's just
a fact of life that newer OSs require more RAM to run well.

      www.litepc.net has programs for 98 through XP which strip out a lot of
unneeded components, which can help you run more efficiently.

      My suggestion?  Windows 98 or 2000.

      Any 2.5" HD listed on my website or anything newer, including the 100gb
HDs just out.

      Some OSs like 98/ME require a Drive Manager program like EZ-Drive
installed to see past the 8GB BIOS boundary limit - if this isn't installed,
you can't use anything past 8GB.  Other OSs like Linux and Windows 2000/XP will
see everything automatically and don't require the drive manager.

      However, due to the fact that the Libretto Hibernation data is stored at
the 8GB boundary, you still need to create at least two partitions, leaving the
8GB space (about 100-150MB) empty and unpartitioned.  If you don't do this, and
the Libretto hibernates, the hibernation data will overwrite whatever files you
would have kept in this area.

      Thus, at the minimum, you will have a <8GB primary bootable partition
from the beginning of the HD to just the 8GB boundary, an empty space of about
100-150MB, then a second logical partition from after that to the end of the
HD.

      See Libretto Mailing List archives for many prior posts on this.

      Nope.  No 16-bit USB PCMCIA adapter exists, so older Librettos (L70 or
older w/o 32-bit cardbus PCMCIA slots) can't use USB.  If you fine one, let
everyone know because quite a few people have wanted one.

=====
adorable toshiba libretto
The latest news and information for the Toshiba Libretto owner.
http://www.silverace.com/libretto/