Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:26:59 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [LIB] AVG Free Issues

In a message dated 1/27/2005 3:33:18 AM Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<snip>

> Got a link for that? I searched on www.grisoft.com but couldn't find it.

My bad.  The problem software is Sygate firewall, not AVG.  (Oh, the
shame....:-/ )

> > Guess it may be time to pony up for AV software.
>
> Sure, there are other free AV-products, e.g.:
> http://www.freeware.freeweb-hosting.com/av.html
> http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Software/Anti_virus_freeware/
>
> Admittedly, AVG Free v. 7.0 performs a bit less in some respects than v.
> 6.0. Manually updating the av-definitions often takes a long time, if
> the server can be reached at all. Automatic updating-while-booting
> always goes fast and flawless.
> But it is free and otherwise works well, I don't complain.
>
> What would concern me more is whether AVG Free can catch enough viruses.
> I have the impression that it performs a bit less in this respect than
> McAfee, but McAfee really slows down Windows on the Lib110.

I used the (until recently) free version of Computer Asociates AV+firewall
called EZ Armor, but the renewal was $30, and the firewall was difficult to
manage.  AVG seems OK, but I have had a low incidence rate of virus infection,
so
can't judge its effectiveness.  Not a Norton fan, and I agree with your
observation of McAfee.  It was great when it was freeware, though.

Sorry for the error.

> P.

Lee