Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 16:57:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: David Chien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Libretto U100 at Microcenter.com stores

Anyways, tried it again today after trying to type on my L110.

The Libretto L110 keyboard and U100 keyboards will get similar typing error
rates if you haven't used them in awhile.  Both have limitations which prevent
full speed typing right away.

The L110 keyboard is smaller, but with beveled keys and a softer touch, it's
easier on the fingertips, but cramped to type on (hands do get cramped
quickly).  Best for hunt and peck two finger typists.

The U100 keyboard is bigger, but because the keys are more click on/off in feel
and don't have as much edge bevel (and because the enter & backspace keys are
in the wrong 'natural' positions for me), it types easier w/o cramping, but I
still get similar error rates due to the keyboard feel and layout.

---

Moving from there to a Sony T (3lbs) series notebook, the keys are bigger, and
easier to type on w/o a problem, but the thin (not wide) keys limit typing
speed vs. the larger Sony S (4lbs) series.  Between the two, you can
immediately touch type at full speed on the S series right away, a little
adjustment for the T series (feels a little cramped).  The pressure required on
the T series is just a touch higher than I'd prefer for rapid touch typing.

Trying something else, the Fujitsu T series/P7000 (3lbs), the keyboard here
feels better than the similarly sized Sony T series, and touch typing rates are
faster due to a better layout than the Sony, and lighter feel.  Still, it's not
'the best' on a mini-notebook.

Finally, the Averatec 1000 $1000 3 1/2lbs contender to the T series sold at
Compusa stores.  Oddly enough, it's almost an 'ideal' in form-factor, case
design and appeal, keyboard layout, and so forth to my eyes and fingers.  The
keyboard is just beautiful vs. the other notebooks, and I'm flying over them
right away w/o much trouble.  The notebook has a decent (though no AR glossy
film, which may be good if you hate looking at your own reflection in the
latest AR film notebook panels) screen that does look good, more flash card
slots than the competitors, and with the exception of only having a
DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive, almost ideal in what it has for the price. (I think if it
did have a DL drive, I'd probably have bought it on the spot.)

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=319848&pfp=SEARCH
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=319431&pfp=SEARCH

---

That said, the Libretto mouse is still 'wierd' - the pointer button is located
too deep (low) in the casing for my taste, and it feels like you've already
worn it down to a nub. Plus, the super-tiny-fonts are truely Sony U50/U70 tiny!
It's a must-try-first before you buy, esp. at the $2000 price.

Anyways, looks like there's still no 'perfect' replacement for the original
line of Librettos that retain the original features while adding more speed and
power.  You'll have to look at these alternatives closely and pick the one that
best suits your needs and comfort level.

adorable toshiba libretto
The latest news and information for the Toshiba Libretto owner.
http://www.silverace.com/libretto/

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html