Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:52:39 -0800
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: USB [WAS:Re: [LIB] Libretto 100CT at 300Mhz?!?!?!]

I am not sure, but pin 68 (page 210 of the manual), shows DOCDET - which
I interpret as Dock Detect. It should be a simple matter of monitoring
what this pin does with and without the Libby connected to the docking
station.
The other issue Ray and others were concerned with was a special
hardware chip inside the docking station that actually provided the
proper USB signals. I could not determine if this was true or not from
the docking station itself, and no one has been able to produce a
schematic for either the Libretto or the docking station. The
"Chiba3..." website listed below with its instructions indicates that
ff1100V Libretto can have the USB added to it. Based on that, and the
signals in the manual, I concluded it was possible the L100 may also be
able to have a USB port on it (with the possible requirement of having
the "DOCDET" signal forced to the correct level). It should be possible
(with younger hands and eyes than I have) to solder wires to the small
Port Replicator pins (as opposed to the docking station) and test this
out before modifying the Libretto. It will either work or not, then we
will know for sure.

Dick