Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 05:35:21 -0300
From: Jose Tavares <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] BIOS password, protecting against thieves ..

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 21:23 -0800, Jose Tavares wrote:

Replying my own ..

> I'm here trying to figure out what's the purpose of the password that
> can be set in U100 BIOS .. Where is the help for this kind of thing??
>
> There's a "simple" password, and another two passwords for HDD access
> that can be set for user and master..
>
> When they'll be asked?

All passwords are asked on always on booting the machine.. Not on
rebooting..

> Where's the HDD password written?

Maybe somewhere near MBR and Partition Table. Maybe something easy to
bypass..

> I set a password in LILO to prevent my OSes from booting and now I want
> to lock the system setup.

Simply setting a password can lock access to the machine and
consequently to its boot config.
Now the problem is the boot priority.. There'll be always other ways of
booting the machine ..

> Is there a way to make this machines totally unhackable? What I'm trying
> to do is to turn my machine into a totally useless one in case of being
> stolen..
>
> Maybe a totally unhackable will be impossible, tips are welcome ..
>
> I realized that the boot priority always show cd-rom or lan.. So, in
> case someone swap the HDD for a clean one, the machine will be bootable
> with other devices even if the thief doesn't have the BIOS password...?

Probably true ..

> I really don't care about my data because it's cloned but I really care
> to make it useless to obligate the thief to return it for a reward.
>
> []
> JA Tavares

[]
JA Tavares