Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:15:07 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] 110 HD upgrade??

From: Philip Nienhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Tony Oresteen wrote:

Please note that you have to take special care when partioning the drive for the Libby - 8 gig overlay issue AND you need EZ Bios to properly map the larger drive.

(Not wanting to start a flame war :-) but...)

...no, you do NOT really need EZ Bios or any other overlay, although for many users that seems an easier solution than simply avoiding DOS FDISK.
This has been covered repeatedly and in detail in this mailing list.

Except that we never got to the root of the conflict I was having with W2K's chkdsk and W98's scandisk differing in opinion on whether or not the same files on the same FAT32 partition had problems. chskdsk would report the partition as being free of any file errors, but scandisk consistently kept complaining about the same ones no matter what I tried to do to address the problem.

The only possibility I can come up with is that I had copied the files on that partition from one drive to another so many times through several HDD upgrades, that there was some little character that was changed somewhere along the way that the two utilities didn't agree on. That may have happened when I had to use data recovery to retrieve lost data after a major HDD crash at one point.

Since attempting to work that out a couple years back, I've been running an app called Beyond Compare to synchronize files on the Lib that I have backed up on the PC. Every once in a while I'll find that an MPEG-1 video file that I've ripped from a DVD sitting on either the Lib or the PC, doesn't sync with the backup I burned to DVD-R. Looking at a comparison of the data in each file, I found that somewhere along the way, probably in the DVD burning process, the 1 or 2 characters at the same positions in the duplicate files had been substituted for another. Out of zillions of data bits in the file, the differences don't affect any noticeable playback problem. But then this is in a multimedia file, and not in data that maintains a file system.

Maybe someone with more knowledgeable on file systems might know if there's any possibility that two different OSs may on occasion write a different character to perform the same file structure maintenance. And if instances when the data is being recovered or burned to optical media might be the cause.

Matt

Libretto list info: