On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Pete Batard <p...@akeo.ie> wrote:
> On 2012.09.30 01:04, Chuck Cook wrote:
>> Remove the dependency on WinUSB and the other dlls.
>
> Removing the WinUSB dependency would be a cool project, but it would
> basically mean reverse engineering the DLL and creating our own open
> source version (albeit part of the libusbx DLL rather than as an
> independent one). Great when you have the time, but probably not
> so much of a worthwhile effort when the DLL is already there on
> most platforms (Vista) and resources are scarce.

Not so sure if libusbk.dll counts as a open source version of
WinUSB.dll replacement. It can be the replacement actually.
http://code.google.com/p/usb-travis/source/browse/trunk/libusbK/src/lusbk_wrapper_winusb.c

On the other hand, WinUSB (winusb.sys and winusb.dll) comes
together with Windows Vista and later. I believe winusb.sys will be
the dominant force as a generic usb driver.

For libusbx users, I think many of them will stick to WinUSB driver
and will only use libusb0.sys and libusbk.sys if they needs some
features not available in winusb.

For libusb-win32 API users, of course they have to use
libusb0.sys and libusbK.sys. I think libusb-0.1 API
and libusb-win32 API will exist for many years to come.

For libusbK API users, they can choose WinUSB/libusb0.sys
and libusbK.sys but I think winusb and libusbk.sys will be the
main choice there.

> Now, removing dependency on the K dll is something we have already
> agreed we'll try to do, as I also mentioned earlier (And we should be
> able to sort license incompatibilities). But since this cannot exactly
> be qualified as an urgent matter, it will probably take a while before
> we spend time on it.

I agree with you here. It is nice to have but not urgent.

--
Xiaofan