therau2000 wrote:
> > > You need to fork libusbx and create your own SCSI Pass Through
> > > backend by yourself if you really want to use libusbx.
> >
> > On the other hand libusbx already does this for HID class, so I
> > don't see why mass storage would be less worthy.
>
> In that case, will you please add "SCSI Pass Through" capability
> to libusbx?

I won't, but maybe someone else will. You can wait for that, or
you can do it yourself (or of course find someone to pay).

> > If you want to send raw SCSI commands to a storage device then you
> > need to look at what is available to accomplish this in a portable
> > way. All USB libraries have failed for you because your problem
> > actually is not about USB.
> >
> > This is all assuming that it is indeed raw SCSI commands that need to
> > be sent to the device. I don't know that for certain, but it seems
> > highly likely.
>
> Sending raw SCSI commands is the conclusion you experts concluded as
> the most likely possibility. I had no idea.

Before choosing a tool I think you should get to the bottom of what
you actually need to do, in terms of operating system interaction.

> > I would not spend any more time on the USB domain,
>
> I am NOT giving up on libusbx!

But unless what you need to do is one of the things it is intended
for then it is not a very good choice of tool for solving your
problem.

> As a matter of facts, I do need libusbx for certain functions...

What are those functions?

> I believe it is a great project and it is easy to use the API, even
> from Java. I would rather have only ONE library to deal with, and
> that is libusbx.

It's great that you like the libusb-1.0 API, but why spend more time
trying to use it if it doesn't do what you need? That's a confusing
approach.

> > and instead look at the storage subsystem and SCSI domain.
>
> Where would you suggest I look?

I'm afraid I don't have a suggestion for a library that abstracts raw
SCSI commands across many different systems.

In any case, the very first thing I suggest that you do is to get to
the bottom of what exactly you need. While that is still unclear it's
much too early to consider individual tools.

//Peter