On Wed, May 09, 2018 at 09:14:29AM +0300, David Kiarie wrote:

> This is okay but this definitely wrong. And it does indeed sound wrong. And
> it will always sound wrong.
>
> Being involved in a GSoC project is not about contributions. And also
> considering the scale of our project(some of the code even never got
> merged). There was a lot of research, design, planning, implementation,
> review and finally the code got merged.
>
> I should at least be able to copyright the file. I mean, Jim was my mentor,
> I did most of the work but his company copyright is right at the top of the
> file - Does this sound okay to you ?

You own copyright on any contributions you make, regardless of what any
Copyright statement at the top of the file says. Just like the Author
lines in file headers, these Copyright lines in source files are at best
outdated and incomplete. Anyone who wishes to identify the copyright
ownership has no choice but to look at the git history which records
exactly who wrote what.

Regards,
Daniel