Hi,

This is a message regarding RT36554 (also at
http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=36554)  This is a quasi bug in
one of the test cases (t/heuristics.t) that causes a single test to fail if
your local internet service provider is playing silly buggers with failed host
name lookups.  Although I discuss the problem in more detail over on the
referenced link, the short story is that some internet providers return a
positive result for 'www.perl.bz' even though that domain does not really
exist.  It appears that some providers use the opportunity of a failed hostname
lookup to return some 'helpful' adverstivements.  This is very common among a
lot of internet providers targeting private homes.

As a result URI fails to install, even though this test failure is really not
related to any problems with URI.  However, it seems that 9 out of the 11
reported test failures are related to this problem.  The fix is trivial and I
have posted it on a fork of the URI git repository over at:
http://gitorious.org/~jnapiorkowski/perl-uri/uri-heuristicstest-fix

You can also see the exact diff of this proposed patch over at:
http://gitorious.org/~jnapiorkowski/perl-uri/uri-heuristicstest-fix/commit/b18366e443138fe41125d659e9572a0e90392c87

I sent in a merge request to the URI git mainline, but it was rejected.  The
reason given was that no one had heard of this problem.  Please spend a moment
looking at the RT mentioned and you can see this problem has been reported for
over a year.

If I am not following the correct procedure for submitting bugs and patches,
please let me know.  Right now this problem is affecting my work deployment and
every time I have to tell the local admin to force install URI before
installing Catalyst this gets flagged and I have to answer why I am doing new
development in Perl when it's so buggy :)

Thanks!
John