Using lwp to d/l dist repo files.

What I was wondering if it was possible to keep a server connection to reuse it
for more than one request. Right now, I found a server I can use http with,
so the cost/connection isn't so bad.  But I ran it against an https site and
it took 1-2 seconds longer to open the site.

At about 50,000 files, 1s could add over 12 hours to a download, so
D/L'ing multiple files/connection should really help.

I don't remember reading how to do this in the various pods. Can someone throw
me a pointer where it shows how to do it?

Thanks Much!