David Johnson wrote:

> On Monday 22 January 2001 09:35 am, Bryan George wrote:
>
> > > Okay, I'm writing it down: "Audience = inflexible Unix bigots =>
> > document = brain dead ASCII text".  Got it, thanks!
>
> Sigh...
>
> I don't have MS Office, and I am not about to pay for it. This has nothing to
> do with bigotry, but everything to do with my money, my harddrive space,
> etc... And when it comes to a choice between rebooting the system to run your
> document's native OS, or shelling out yet more money to get VMWare, I'll just
> abstain.

I'm just busting your chops a little, really... :)  You don't have to
convince me of the need for a low-cost, accessible, open way to pass
docs around - I just got a little tweaked with the "Real men use ASCII"
crud. %b

> There are alternatives so use them. If the presentation you are sending is
> comprised solely of verbal content, then ASCII is sufficient. If you need
> some small amount of text formatting, try HTML. And if you need to control
> the document's appearance exactly, try PDF.

I was going to suggest that - presumably anyone with pockets for Office
can pick up a copy of Acrobat as well, and the reader's free and
multi-platform.

Cheers,

Bryan

> --
> David Johnson
> ___________________
> http://www.usermode.org
begin:vcard
n:George;Bryan
tel;fax:703-883-6708
tel;work:703-883-5458
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.mitre.org
org:The MITRE Corporation;Signal Processing Center
adr:;;1820 Dolley Madison Blvd., M/S W622;McLean;VA;22102-3481;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Lead Signal Processing Engineer
fn:Dr. Bryan George