It is clear to me that OSD #6 does not prohibit direct sale of the
software.  I've never heard anybody seriously claim otherwise.

It's another thing. By clause 6, you must either sell to all recipients, or give away to all recipients. I think this makes software sale incompatible with bazaar-like development. But I must ponder this and other things I've learned in this discussion. Thanks.

Certainly neither the GPL nor the BSD license prohibit sale of the
software.

Then they should stop saying "because this software is provided free of charge..."