efleming969 wrote:
> I saw that syntax on a blog a few days ago, but I did not try it with
> version 7.6.
>
> The db4o team has been really dedicated to C# and LINQ in the past few
> versions, to I would image the library will become more friendly to
> languageas like Scala.

Unfortunately, DB4O's choice of license and business model drives them
away from JVM-land and toward CLR-land.

I've had pretty extensive chats with the DB4O people and would really
like to do something with them related to Lift, but it's a huge challenge.

DB4O is dual-licensed under a GPL variant and commercial.  In order to
do any commercial development at all (according to the DB4O sales
people), one must buy a commercial license.  But buying a commercial
license is hard.  I spent more than a week in round-and-round
discussions with DB4O sales just to get a price list.  Basically, it was
going to cost about $10K for my development licenses.  This was a
development license just to explore and see if DB4O was right for the
project that I was working on.  Yes, I know... I could have just
downloaded the code and tested it out, but I believe in abiding by
license terms.

What this means is that people can't just play with DB4O in a commercial
setting... they have to plunk down cash.  This is normal in
Microsoft/CLR land, but most JVM-based projects, even in corporate
settings, are prototyped with open source code.  When things get closer
to production, the companies buy support and indemnification from the
open source vendors.

So, I'd like to do something with DB4O.  They'd like to do something
with Lift.  But nobody's found the right ground or the right business
model to make things work.  Sigh.

David