On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 10:21 PM, Oliver Lambert <olambo...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 2:54 PM, David Pollak <
> feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 8:36 PM, mal3 <malcolm.gor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> We are going to use the Google App Engine (GAE) for our app using GWT
>>> with the new Google GWT Eclipse plugin support.
>>>
>>> Our Scala and Lift skills are not up to the task of doing it in Lift
>>> right now.
>>> Once we have Exploring Lift and Beginning Scala books in our hot
>>> little hands in May, we will begin to port the app over to Lift.
>>>
>>> We need to choose between JPA and JDO. Which is the best choice
>>> in anticipation of using Lift on GAE in a couple of months time?
>>>  So far as I can see, Lift supports JPA but not JDO.
>>

>> Lift supports either.  Lift is persistence agnostic.  Lift has a module,
>> mapper, that has JDBC support.  Derek and Co. have built some nice
>> JPA archetypes, but you can use JDO to your heart's content with Lift.
>>

> But there are no JDO examples while there are JPA and mapper ones.

The issue is what Lift "supports".  The HTTP request/response part of Lift
is agnostic about persistence.  I made sure that this was the case.  Use of
JPA in Scala/Lift was not well documented before Derek came along, but it's
quickly becoming the persistence mechanism of choice for Lift apps.  Perhaps
if folks start using JDO with Lift, that will garner community support and
there will be a lot of JDO code that people contribute.

So, I advocate using the persistence mechanism that one feels most
comfortable with.  I'll make sure that if folks start using JDO and they
contribute JDO examples into the community that JDO gets the same level of
support as JPA and mapper.

Thanks,

David

Git some: http://github.com/dpp