Tim,

Alexis here from RabbitMQ.

This is definitely a good use case for RabbitMQ and AMQP.  It has been
implemented by quite a few folks, in a range of styles.  In your case
I think you probably want to express subscription interest based on
single keywords (eg "bigjob", "littlejob").  You would do this by
binding your work queues to a direct exchange by subscription key, and
then attaching consumers to queues (which can be shared, or single-
user).  Consumers who wish to create work would simply publish
messages to the exchange, attaching a suitable routing key to each
message they send.  So in this example keys are, in effect, job types.

Here are some links you may find useful:

* http://blogs.digitar.com/jjww/2009/01/rabbits-and-warrens/ -
introductory article by a python user
* http://www.rabbitmq.com/how.html - general linkfest
* http://github.com/ezmobius/nanite/tree/master - one of several ruby
based worker patterns

Please do cross-post to rabbitmq-discuss if you want the RabbitMQ
community to comment.

Cheers,

alexis