That was it.  I pulled again from git and now I can start the examples-osgi
app.

However, one more nitpick...  I can load index.htm but the snippet isn't
rendered correctly because some resources can't be found.

e.g.
[5285...@qtp-20735553-0 - /] INFO
org.ops4j.pax.web.service.internal.HttpServiceContext - getting resource:
[/templates-hidden/default.htm]
[5285...@qtp-20735553-0 - /] INFO
org.ops4j.pax.web.service.internal.HttpServiceContext - found resource: null

Is that normal?  I can see the following displayed:

bundle!</span></p>

complains.

alex