I came from a similar background, but with some detours after Rails
through Erlang, GAE w/ Django, and web2py. It took me about 2 months
to finally start having fun with Lift and Scala, but I can tell you
now it's really nice to just sit down, write something, and watch it
work!

I'm no expert yet, and I'm constantly reading all the books I can
find, but the rewards and power are definitely there. Where I needed
dozens of files with Rails, I only need 3 models, 3 snippets, and 2
templates now, and they are far cleaner!

My advice is to slow down, do the 'ToDo' app tutorial, and then start
adding functionality to it. As you add features, you will research and
learn about new things and how to do them. As a study aid, I keep the
'PocketChange' app from the book open, and look to see how similar
problems were solved there.

As they say, almost everything you need to know is contained in those
two examples. As to all the niceties of the servers and deployment to
a VPS, I suggest you leave that for later. The little Jetty thing
running on localhost will give you a taste of how Maven sets up
things, and how to tweak them (adding logging, comments, debugging
messages, etc), plus you always have the Group here for help.

Lift (and Scala) are both very young, so it will take a while for all
the books, websites, tutorials, and videos to come out. Imagine Rails
5 years ago and you have some idea of where we are, and that's not
even considering the new 'Goat Rodeo' project...

No worries -- have fun!