> LiftRules.addToEnviroment(com.mypackage), and the com.mypackage conforms to
> a known standard / format with some special traits that we call loading
> methods on.

This isn't really any different then building a module by extending
LiftModule trait except that the "known standard / format' is actually
documented by the LiftModule trait itself and can be checked by
compiler when you add LiftRules.modules.append(MyModule) to your Boot
class.

Regarding OSGi, I don't see a good case for using it when you just
want to build a regular Lift app.  Maybe if you're trying to build the
next great CMS or Wordpress, but I personally won't use OSGi w/ Lift
anytime soon.  However, the modules themselves could be responsible
for loading snippets, views, and templates.  The base LiftModule trait
could define and implement a findSnippet method (and findView,
findTemplate) that uses current Lift technique for finding snippets.
If you want to build an OSGi module then you override findSnippet.