You can use any database that has a JDBC driver, using whatever setup the
database/driver supports.
I don't think Lift can detect things like removed fields. Schemifying is
great for initializing the database and making sure everything that will be
expected to be in the database is created if it doesn't exist yet, but
sometimes you just have to modify it directly.