On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 1:49 AM, Viktor Klang <viktor.kl...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 2:38 AM, Charles F. Munat <c...@munat.com> wrote:
>

>> David Pollak wrote:
>> > The existing page/URL level security has nothing to do with Mapper.
>> >  There's nothing that can be done with Mapper that can't be done with
>> > JPA (with the exception of Mapper's field-level access control which, to
>> > my knowledge, is not being used anywhere.)
>>
>> I meant that the login feature when you use the basic archetype is set
>> up to work with Mapper, not that login is part of Mapper. It could be
>> adapted to work with JPA easily, but there is no JPA archetype so far
>> that includes that login functionality (that I'm aware of). You have to
>> roll your own.
>>
>> > I radically disagree.  Having a separate concern doing "security" is a
>> > disaster because there'll always be some place where one system believes
>> > one thing and the other system believes something else.
>>
>> A disaster? Always? Really?

Anything that's not strongly typed, IMHO (I guess I'm channelling Greg
Meredith) is a disaster waiting to happen.

For systems written by a small team of people who all currently have the
rule set in their head, the disaster is generally averted.

For systems that have multiple layers of testing and a dedicated QA staff
(both very high cost) the disaster is generally averted.

Lift is not always strongly typed.  Lift doesn't insert all the correct
JavaScript in a page that it's rendering (e.g., references to jQuery).  This
accounts for some measurable traffic on this list.  Lift's binding mechanism
is not strongly typed (although there's immediate feedback on smoke tests)
and that leads to some problems.  Lift's "by convention" snippet/comet
location mechanism is not strongly typed and that leads to a lot of traffic
on this list and no doubt to a lot of problems by developers that don't
bubble up to the list.

But security is special.  Security is something that has to be done better
than by convention or by group knowledge or by testing (you should test for
security as well).  Security is something that should be obvious in the most
basic code review and your program should not compile if the security
assumptions about a resource in one area are not the same as the security
assumptions about the same resource in another area.

Git some: http://github.com/dpp