Bill,
Thanks for posting this.  I am, by experience (I started using it, I can use
it enough to write basic tests, I know no more) using Specs.  I would
welcome and encourage some sample tests in Lift archetypes that use
ScalaTest.  I want to make sure that folks who pick up Lift get to
experience ScalaTest as well as Specs... that way, folks who have a better
understanding of tests can make better choices.

Thanks,

David

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Bill Venners <b...@artima.com> wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
>
> It looks like you're currently using a JUnit TestCase. If you want an
> easier port to something that would work you could use a ScalaTest
> Suite like this:
>
> import org.scalatest.Suite
>
> class YourSuite extends Suite {
>
>  val session = new LiftSession("", randomString(20), Empty)
>  val stableTime = now
>
>   override def withFixture(test: NoArgTest) {
>
>    S.initIfUninitted(session) {
>       val user = User.create
>      user.firstName("XXX")
>      user.lastName("YYY")
>      user.save
>      User.logUserIn(user)
>       test()
>     }
>  }
>
>  def testValue() {
>   val xml =
>       <xml:group>
>       </xml:group>
>    val trainer = new Trainer()
>    val output = trainer.showPeople(xml)
>     // seems like you need an assertion here...
>  }
> }
>
> A Suite considers methods that start with "test" as tests, like JUnit
> 3, except they don't need to result in Unit so you don't need an extra
> () at the end. The withFixture method is an alternative to
> beforeEach/afterEach, which are like JUnit 3's setUp/tearDown methods.
> Each test gets passed as a function to withFixture, which is
> responsible for executing the test by invoking the function. In this
> case, it is executed in the context created by S. initIfUninitted.
> This is ScalaTest 1.0, which is available as a SNAPSHOT right now but
> should be released proper a week from Monday.
>
> http://www.artima.com/scalatest
>
> Bill
>
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 9:50 AM, David Pollak
> <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Using Specs 1.6:
> >
> > object HelloWorldTestSpecs extends Specification {
> >   val session = new LiftSession("", randomString(20), Empty)
> >   val stableTime = now
> >   override def executeExpectations(ex: Examples, t: =>Any): Any = {
> >     S.initIfUninitted(session) {
> >       ... put your User init here.  The User.logUserIn will be within the
> > context of a session and thus session (and request) vars will be valid
> >     }
> >   }
> >   "HelloWorld Snippet" should {
> >     "Put the time in the node" in {
> >       ... do testing here
> >     }
> >   }
> > }
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> > On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 8:55 AM, rstradling <ryanstradl...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I have a class called
> >> class Trainer {
> >>   def showPeople(xhtml : Group) : NodeSeq = {
> >>      val user : User = User.currentUser.open_!
> >>   }
> >> }

> [...]

Surf the harmonics