Just want to add to this. web.py is a Python web development framework
that I like a lot, for its simplicity. In about 10 lines of code you can have
a complete, albeit simple, web application. No XML whatsoever.

http://webpy.org/

Hope no one is offended by my mentioning a Python web framework on
Lift list. Just want to say that things can be short and simple as well
as easy to understand and easy to use.

Of course the dynamic languages have their known issues, which is
what drives me to Scala and Lift.