On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 9:18 AM, Timothy Perrett <timo...@getintheloop.eu>wrote:

> David,
>
> I think your response was well measured and appropriate. The analogy of
> linguistics is a good one :-)
>
> Without wanting to diverge this thread, can I ask why it is your unhappy
> with Record? Its been fairly fun to use so far and appears to work well.

I don't like mutable fields.  I don't like manual saving.  Dunno... it's
hard to articulate... it just feels wrong in my tummy.  Also, I want to be
clear that I think Marius did a great job of cleaning up some of the
problems with Mapper when he did Record... my comments are not a negative to
him... there's just something unsatisfying about the whole approach.

Bet that was less than helpful.

> [...]
> was my default way of programming from age 12 to age 42).  If the first 4
> chapters of the book resonate with you, if you can practice them
> comfortably, then you are over the part where my brain hurt a lot.
>
> To be fair, my brain started hurting when I started coding in Ruby and I
> discovered closures.  Ruby's syntax for dealing with closures sucks (a max
> of one per method call, it may or may not be a method parameter, etc.)  But
> it was a sea change in the way I approached programming.  But if you're
> already a Ruby coder, you're familiar with passing functions... much of my
> painful switch-over is something you've already experienced.
>

>> I'm just wondering why Scala has to be so complicated.
>

> There are two Scalas.  The Library Consumer part of Scala which is less
> complex conceptually an syntactically than either Ruby or Java.  The Library
> Producer (types, type bounds, path dependent types, implicits, view bounds)
> that are complex, but I've tried to shield most of that from the casual
> users of Lift.  From a syntax perspective, Scala is less complex that Java
> and far, far less complex than Ruby (just talk to Charlie Nutter who
> re-implemented Ruby's parser in JRuby.)
>

>> I'm sure a lot
>> of things in Scala have their reasons but at the mean time I also
>> suspect that many of the odd things are there to reduce
>> typing, which is advertised as one of the advantages of this language -
>> conciseness. (I could be very wrong due to my lack of understanding.)
>>

> It depends on what strikes you as odd.  Please see my next comment.
>

>> If the latter is true, I feel that I'd rather type a little more to make
>> the
>> code easier to read.
>>

> Interesting... I find Clojure hard to read.  It's mostly because I don't
> have a Lisp/Scheme background and I don't know the common function names
> ("my other car is a cdr").  To me, that's not complexity, that's rehearsal.
>  I had the same problems going from Java to Ruby.  The syntax, common method
> names, etc. were different and needed to be learned (I can't tell you how
> many times I was bitten by not being able to do: "Hello " + 33 (TypeError:
> can't convert Fixnum into String)... for a dynamic language that ain't so
> dynamic).  Ruby's terrifically complex syntax requires year and years to
> master, although most of it is simple enough to pick up in a few weeks.
>  Ruby's meta-programming
>

>> Just feeling a little frustrated learning Scala. I think it's much
>> easier learning
>> Java. Not much surprise. Not sure if anyone shares my experience
>> (and opinion, if there is one.)
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Randinn <rand...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > http://localhost3000.de/2009/10/a-quick-glance-at-lift/
>> >
>> > The site above is a blog post from a Rails developer, he had some good
>> > and bad things to say about Lift and since I do not know enough to
>> > debate with him I thought I'd post it here.

Surf the harmonics