I've had problems with system/JVM default locale before.
When no encoding/charset is specified in new String(bytes[] data)
or String getBytes(), it uses the default locale. When the default
locale is not UTF-8, there will be a problem. I'm not sure where
the problem is, though.

You can capture the HTTP traffic and see what encoding it
uses to determine in what link in the request-response-storage
chain the encoding got wrong.

BTW, Just saw David's reply. Looks like he's found the problem.