Right ... building progress bars should be quite easy but just have
your page contain the comet actor.So roughly the steps would be:

1. Include your comet in the page. In this state it renders nothing
visible
2. hen you open the dialog, send an ajax response
3. From your ajax scal function send a message to your comet actor to
"activate" the progress
4. From your comet actor I assume you would know the "progress of an
operation" and you'd send progress bar updates using partialUpdate.

... you got the idea.

I'm doing something similar with multiple progress bars monitoring the
progress of some backgroud server processes using comet but not really
inside of a dialog. Putting them inside a modal dialog would be very
easy.

Br's,
Marius