On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Jeppe Nejsum Madsen <je...@ingolfs.dk>wrote:

> Ahh just saw David beat me to it with the other reply :-)
>
> John Pletka <jple...@abraxis.com> writes:
>
> > It is a business application - lots of forms, reports, data lookups.  I'm
> > not too concerned about the performance on a single node - at any given
> time
> > we'll probably have a max of 1000 requests a minute coming in which I've
> > seen Lift handle easily.  The biggest problem is we need near 100%
> up-time.
>
> But you can have near 100% uptime with sticky sessions. What you can't
> have is High Availability (HA), ie. users won't notice when a server
> breaks.

There are 3 scenarios:

   1. Unplanned fail-over.  Having a hot standby and extended login session
   (See ProtoExtendedSession).  The user would lose a stateful multi-page
   wizard and would lose input to the particular screen they were on.  It would
   appear as a "glitch"... not optimal, but not end of the world.
   2. Planned transfer.  You could shuffle all new sessions off to the new
   machine and let the old sessions age on the old server.  With a little extra
   work, you could demark when a user was done with a logic task (e.g., going
   back to the home page) and use that as the trigger to move the session to
   the new machine.
   3. Upgrade that breaks the DB schema.  You're going to have downtime.  No
   way around it.

> > That means having at least a second server in hot-standby mode
> > (preferably parallel production), and some way to do upgrades without
> > bringing the whole site offline.
>
> Doing rolling upgrades is never easy, even if you don't share state. You
> may have all this figured, but you need to account for different app
> versions running simultaneously, expanding/shrinking db upgrades etc.
>
> /Jeppe

Surf the harmonics