Hi,

I've been trying to figure out the mechanics of Lightning fees, especially in
the case of routed payments. Unfortunately, I haven't had any success in
finding a high level description on the topic.

I'm hoping somebody is able to point me in the right direction?

Example:

A multi-hop routed payment where A needs to pay D through B and C. Established
channels are A -> B -> C -> D.

What I'm looking for is a high level explanation of how fees are established,
announced and ultimately claimed in a payment like this. Some of the questions
that come to mind are:

- Does A know ahead of time the fees on B and C, or only when trying to set up
the payment? And how?

- How does A know the amount of fees that need to be added to the payment to
cover all fees?

- Is D aware of the full amount including fees or is that somehow hidden?

- How are the fees actually claimed (who ends up paying whom)?

Thanks in advance.

/Thomas