Good morning Benjamin,

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On April 13, 2018 4:37 AM, Benjamin Mord <b...@mord.io> wrote:

> Thank you, ZmnSCPxj.
>
> "... by adjusting the on-Lightning `fee_base_msat` and
> `fee_proportional_millionths` of channels."
>
> Yes, I agree these prices are a critical signaling mechanism that can have
> substantial impact on expected channel lifetime and thus economic efficiency
> of lightning operation overall. (As you may recall, I believe we should allow
> negative prices - even if present day routing algorithms choose to treat
> negative fees as zero for temporary simplicity.) You make a good point it can
> also improve routing efficiency by hinting at capacity, but for now they are
> unfortunately linear.
>
> The following paper did not account for the improved efficiency that price
> adjustment in response to channel state will likely enable, but one thing
> which may be relevant here is the underlying power law assumption of
> transaction size distribution (which is apparently drawn from actual data),
> and the more general approach to estimating channel lifespan. In lieu of
> advertising max capacity, perhaps we should instead permit a price exponent
> which may optionally be set to something larger than 1. The cost to channel
> operator of processing a transaction is largely the impact to expected
> channel lifespan, which in turn is nonlinear with respect to transaction size
> - and dramatically so as transaction size approaches (or exceeds) remaining
> capacity.
> https://arxiv.org/pdf/1712.10222.pdf

Larger payments also have a much lower chance of successfully propagating
through the network, as every channel in its route needs to have the requisite
capacity, so I think it somewhat balances out (maybe).

Adding a nonlinear component would be difficult to add on to the protocol
currently, as I think there is no provision for it in the protocol.  But maybe
I am incorrect..?

> If we combine nonlinear pricing with your March 19 AMP proposal, I expect
> economic efficiency could be greatly improved.

My AMP proposal cannot work soon.  It requires at minimum for
Bellare-Neven/MuSig/Schnorr (I get confused, which is the proper name for this)
signatures to be added to Bitcoin to get HD+SS.  Then we need to switch over
all implementations to using scriptless script contingent payments rather than
hashlocked contingent payments (and convince all network node operators to
upgrade); we will be unable to use an intermediate node that does not
understand SS contingent payments for my style of AMP.

The earlier AMP proposal by roasbeef is back-compatible (uses the same
hashlocked contingent payments we already use now), but does not support a
proof-of-payment compatible with ZKCP protocols (although possibly I am wrong,
I think roasbeef has mentioned before that it is ZKCP compatible).

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj