Good morning,

> On 3 Jan 2019, at 13:04, ZmnSCPxj <zmnsc...@protonmail.com> wrote:
>
> Good morning Lawrence,
>
> While true, on Lightning, interest earnings are ***tiny*** enough that the
> premium "paid" in this manner is minimal.
> Increase in alternative interest earnings for Bitcoin on non-Lightning
> alternatives would also cut down the available liquidity on Lightning and
> increase Lightning fees.

If the contract issuer and recipient are different people, the issuer would
charge an option price or premium, x_p, which would depend on volatility.

If the issuer and recipient are the same person, they are guaranteed a loss.

> Further, the current nature of cryptocurrency assets is highly speculative
> and large swings in exchange rates in short time frames are typical.
> Thus the premium paid is minimal compared to the upside of the speculative
> call option.

This would be reflected in the premium calculated by the contract issuer; x_p
increases with volatility.

> Finally, the massive problem here is that the exchange, which enables
> cross-asset swap, is itself obligated to lock the asset to be called in the
> contract.
> In particular, the "premium" is ***not paid*** to the exchange node; instead,
> the "premium", such as it is, is split between both the exchange and the user
> of the American Call Option, and is paid as a temporary decrease in the
> supply of both assets to the rest of the economy.
> The galling part is that it violates the principle of "initiator pays", since
> the exchange, which passively advertises its service, does not initiate the
> creation of the American Call Option yet is forced to pay for its existence
> by locking its own assets.

The initiator pays an opportunity cost by depositing funds into the exchange.