Good morning Rene,

> Maybe I oversee something - in that case sorry for spamming the list - but I
> don't understand how you could know the distance from yourself if you don't
> know the entire topology? (unless u use it on the pruned view as you
> suggested)

That is correct, and the reason that it would still lose determinism (and thus
be hard to test anyway), as I lamented.
At least for a pruning heuristic like you proposed (i.e. probabilistically
prune channels) it is possible to make deterministic with a fixed RNG seed.

For instance a node might concatenate its own public key with the
short-channel-id (in some fixed byte order) of the channel, hash the
concatenation, then use the hash as the seed of an RNG that gives 1 bit, and
prune the channel if the bit is cleared (to remove half the channels in the
routemap).

> On the other hand querying for a certain depth would be possible with the
> suggested `query ask egonetwork` in case for depth 3 one would have to peer
> with the nodes from the friend of a friend network.

But for this, you would require that every node also keep every channel with
depth less than your maximum query amount.

Perhaps for friend-of-friend, it might be sufficient to just query a peer to
give its own direct public channels, which it needs to remember anyway.
But that is basically only a depth of 2 (if we count depth of 1 as your direct
channels).

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj