Hi all,

Thanks so much for the great feedback over the last week. Seems like
general agreement that adding a simple home for descriptive design
documents focusing on new LN features would be a good thing, and augment
the prescriptive BOLTs (which have done a great job getting us this far!).

If there is a point of contention, it seems to be about how not only this
interacts with the existing BIP system, but also how the BOLTs interact
with the BIP system. The only problem I have with BOLTs and bLIPs as BIPs
is that it introduces large scope creep over what was originally a pretty
simple proposal. I don't really care where these design documents exist,
only that there is a standard format and that LN developers and users feel
empowered to create them and share them with the broader ecosystem.

If we proceed with creating bLIPs in the lightning-rfc repo today and later
decide to recreate the BOLTs as BIPs, it will be no trouble at all to
recreate bLIPs as BIPs as well.

The BIP Process Wishlist sounds great and can be addressed independently.
If recruits for merging the BOLTs can be found, we can tackle the mechanics
of a merge then (alongside maybe some of the other bitcoin-related *IP
repos that exist outside the BIPs? [1] [2]).

Best,
Ryan

[1] https://github.com/satoshilabs/slips
[2] https://github.com/rsksmart/RSKIPs