"Seen in the light of the MOQ, what is it that is described in the last
part of ZMM  (The Greeks).
Is it the emergence of SOM, the"coming of  age" of the Intellectual
level, or...?"

In answer to the question, I would say that I believe the schism between
the sophists and the dialecticians (or between Good & Truth), and the
eventual historical triumph of Truth in that battle, was the "coming of
age" of the intellectual level, or what I think is the intellectual
level.  However, I do not arrive at this conclusion strictly in light of
the MOQ.  Another source has influenced my thinking on this matter for
some years now.

Some of you may be familiar with this source, a book by Julian Jaynes,
The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind.  For
all not familiar with it, I recommend it highly.  I really don't intend,
however, for this to be an advertisement for that book or it's
viewpoint--I just believe Jaynes has some things to say about the time
period, and the accopmanying shift in human (or at least Greek, at the
time) mental behavior, in question, that are very relevant to the
discussion at hand.  And for anyone familiar with Jaynes' work, you will
realize that I am greatly simplifying his thought process in an attempt
to: 1. highlight those portions which I believe are relevant here; and
2. attempt to keep this post from becoming a book.  I apologize for any
particularly horrid liberties I take in this regard.

First, I should explain that Jaynes does not use the term
"consciousness" in what I would think is considered a "normal" fashion.
(And for good reason, but I suggest reading the book for more detail on
how he arrives at his definition, as it is rather a long dialectic
process to describe and outside the scope of this discussion.)  Jaynes
by consciousness does not mean awareness or even reasoning awareness.
What Jaynes does mean by consciousness is a language-based mental
process that is a "...metaphor-generated model of the world".  Basically
he is saying that consciousness is the mental process by which we
analogize our experiences so that we may in some sense put them in
context for ourselves and attempt thereby to achieve an understanding of
our experiences.  I would extend this a step further, in light of the
MOQ, and say that the experiences we are attempting to contextualize are
experiences of quality.

After comparing the descriptions of the intellectual level of the MOQ
with Jayne's descriptions of consciousness, I believe the two are
attempting to describe the same process or activity of the human mind.
It is the process we go through in thinking through a subject, during
which the subject we are thinking about becomes an object (at least
metaphorically or allegorically, in our minds).  This process allows
humans to conceive of ideas and such that were not possible prior to the
development of this ability, as has been evidenced historically by the
differences between cultures more fully able to exploit this mode of
thinking (ie the rapid development of science and technology).  Of
course, as Pirsig points out, some things were also lost as we came to
almost exclusively depend upon this mode of thought.  However, that is
not the particular point of this discussion, either.

Jaynes' analysis of how the Greeks thought prior to this development
also shows some parallels to Pirsig's (or his recollection of Phaedrus')
descriptions in ZAMM.  Pirsig talks about the mythos, while Jaynes talks
about the bicameral mind, the psychology which may underlay how man
operated during the time between the development of language and
(somewhat) complicated civilization, and the development of the
intellect or consciousness.  While I will assume that we are all
familiar with Pirsig's description of the mythos, I must of course
attempt to explain Jaynes' "bicameral mind" and how it, in my opinion,
is related to Pirsig's mythos.  Jaynes, through interpretation and
analysis of pre-intellectual legends/stories, burial rituals, societal
norms, etc, attempts to show that humans prior to about 1200-1000 B.C.
(at least in the Middle East, the time of change differed in other
areas/cultures) thought in a very different mode than that most of us
consider "normal" today (though remnants of that prior mode of thought
still linger in many ways and in fact are highly regarded by some).
Jaynes calls this the bicameral mind.  As the name implies, there were
two parts of the mind (which, to a degree, Jaynes connects to the right
and left halves of the brain) which to a large degree operated
separately.  In his conception, one half of the brain was the "god" half
while the other half was a subservient one (unfortunately I've forgotten
the terms he actually used for each part of the mind, but I believe god
and subservient convey the idea well enough for the time being) which
took direction from the god half and executed the god's commands.  This
god mind contained the cultural norms, values, etc, and in some vague
sense acts likes Freud's superego (though in a much stronger manner, as
the subservient mind had no intellectual tools to fight the god mind
with, while we today can certainly rationalize our way out of following
the dictates of our superego--perhaps the superego is a weak remnant of
the god mind).  As is contained the cultural norms (perhaps partially in
the form of legends, stories, and such that it internalized during the
human learning and socialization process), I see it as being the
individual psychological agent of the social mythos of Pirsig.

Jaynes doesn't, to my recollection, particularly focus on the
philosophers of Greece such as Socrates, Plato & Aristotle, as being a
cause of the birth of the intellectual level/consciousness.  There are
other, larger, reasons for the transition than just the ideas of a few
men at work in the breakdown of the bicameral mind and its usurpation by
the intellectual level/consciousness.  My guess is that the Greek
philosophers are more a reflection of the process than a cause.  These
would be among the first (recorded) men to begin flexing the new mental
muscles developed by this momentus sea-change in human thought
patterns.  And as with most people who have possession of a new tool,
they felt the need to denigrate those that came before, who did not have
the tool available.  Thus the dialecticians' attack on the sophists was
the flexing of the new muscles of the intellectual level/consciousness
against the old guard of the mythos.

Regardless of the causes (which are also a bit lengthy to get into at
the moment), what Jaynes calls consciousness, and what I believe is
Pirsig's intellectual level, came to dominate the mental landscape of
humans.

This thought process of mine hopefully leads back to our original
question, and hopefully my answer is now on some more solid footing, or
at least such solid footing as such speculative analysis can provide.  I
think the period/process in question was the "coming of age" of the
intellectual level in the same since that youth "comes of age" to some
degree by rebellion against the prior generation.  While it was
certainly not an expression of the full maturity of the intellectual
level, it was a necessary step.

In regards to the relation of SOM to this intellectual
level/consciousness, I would note that the very process of analogizing
experiences in the manner which Jaynes describes is one which, in my
opinion, leads to objectifying of the subjects of thought.  Whether this
means that such an subject/object split is a necessary part of the
intellectual level, or just a characteristic of "western" consciousness,
I am not certain.   Although I've studied (and attempted to practice, in
the form of meditation, for example) "eastern" thought, I don't know
that I have sufficient knowledge or understanding of eastern thought to
hazard an intelligent guess as to whether the intellectual process is
different in that regard for them.  Perhaps the intellectual process is
the same for them but they (and western mystics) in general remain in
closer touch with their pre-intellectual selves than westerners in
general.

MOQ.org - http://www.moq.org