On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 10:59 AM, <markpole...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've uploaded a new patch set for review, but I still have
> some questions.
>
> First, some questions for Joe Neeman:
>
> Joe, with commit 7d410b9 (from 2009-12-17), in NR 4.4.1
> "Vertical spacing inside a system - Spacing between staves",
> you wrote:
>  If unset, stretchability defaults to
>  space - minimum-distance.

This isn't quite accurate: actually, our "ideal" springs have two different
spring constants, one for compressing and one for stretching. The default
stretchability is (space - minimum-distance) for compressing and space for
stretching (the stretching one is probably more important in practice).

> But 4 months later, with commit d701703 (2010-04-20), in
> lily/spacing-basic.cc, you wrote:
>  By default, the spring will have an
>  inverse_stretch_strength of space+min_dist.
>
> Is this a contradiction?  Could you confirm the default
> calculation of 'stretchability?  (Unfortunately, I don't
> speak C/C++).

This is for horizontal spacing, not vertical spacing. Also, the comment
means to say: "if not for the next line of code, the default _would be_
space+min_dist,

> Also, I rewrote the 'stretchability entry; can you
> double-check that there's nothing erroneous/misleading?
> Should I remove the +inf.0 bit?

+inf.0 will cause a programming_error (and it will be ignored). Internally,
we use 1e7 for an almost infinitely stretchable spring.

Cheers,
Joe