On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Valentin Villenave
<valen...@villenave.net>wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Joe Neeman <joenee...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > What sort of signs would you find reassuring?
>
> Greetings Joe,
> Well, your answer is one, for starters :)
>
> What I meant by "reassuring signs" is pretty much any reactions from
> the development team acknowledging that there might be an issue (or
> something that might be perceived as such) with the way things have
> been going so far. More specifically, I was referring to the few
> questions I raised and suggestions I made earlier.
>
> > I'm a member of -hackers. I've
> > probably sent two emails to the list in the four or so years that I've
> been
> > a member. Nevertheless, I think it's useful to have around. For one
> thing,
> > the traffic is so low that I actually *read* the emails on it, whereas I
> > often miss emails to -devel unless someone CCs me.
>
> Good point.
> That would apply to any other low-traffic mailing-list, though (and
> doesn't explain why the archives, no matter how old, need to be
> private).

If the archives were public, it might deter people from speaking frankly.
Obviously, everyone knows by now that we've had a thread discussing David;
had there been public archives (or a plan to make them public in the
future), that conversation would have probably gone off-list. Which defeats
the purpose of having such a list in the first place.

> I don't have any
> particularly strong opinions about what the list policies should be, but I
> am in favor of keeping it.

 Again, I do not strongly object against keeping it either.

> So, a temporary list of -hackers members would include Han-Wen, Jan,
> Graham, (possibly Mats?), John, Reinhold, yourself... and counting
> (this is me "playing journalist", as Graham would say).

I doubt anyone objects to having a public list of the -hackers members. If
we do create such a list, it's probably more efficient just to get a list
from the list administrator rather than sleuthing around.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am under the impression that this list
> is but a thing from the past. It would explain why old-time "senior
> developers", as Graham calls them, are still members, but not "new"
> developers who have _only_ been around for less than, what? three
> years?

That sounds about right.

Still, there's some kind of a paradox: what you guys are telling us is
> basically "nobody really uses this mailing list"... "but let's keep it
> anyway". (Which is exactly what I was already told several years ago.)
>
> Anyway, if you find it "useful", then by all means do keep it. But it
> would be a pity to keep it "just in case", regardless of what it, for
> all intents and purposes, may make the LilyPond project look like from
> where regular contributors are standing. (Again, I'm speaking for
> myself and aren't assuming that my point of view is shared by anyone
> else.)

Do you really think that having a private mailing list damages the project?
That is, assuming that we are open about its existence/purpose/whatever?

Cheers,
Joe