On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Valentin Villenave
<valen...@villenave.net>wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 10:29 PM, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > David seemingly is quite incapable of bringing his meaning across, so
> > instead of substituting your own, just quote him.
>
> Indeed. As you may have guessed, I added your name to that sentence as
> an afterthought, only to make it clear that I did agree with what you
> said earlier.
> In this regard, I could have quoted your former emails in their entirety
> :-)
>
> I am very grateful to Carl for having posted and pushed his patch, and
> I'm all for conflict resolution. However, I also have to mention that
> to me, this issue is not solved by any means.
>
> I made clear what my intentions were in the first place, and I
> apologized to whomever might have felt offended by some of the words I
> used; however none of the suggestions I made were as much as
> acknowledged by any member or administrator of the -hackers mailing
> list. Is it to say that I should now follow Graham's advise: "Ask
> questions. If you get no reply, then ask again. If you still get no
> reply, ask if you can quote somebody as refusing to answer"?
>
> What has changed thanks to Carl, is that -hackers is now accounted for
> in the LilyPond documentation. It certainly is appropriate as a first
> step, and I can understand that discussing anything further may be
> seen as a non-issue, or at least an issue that isn't nearly as
> important as getting 2.14 out of the door. So, now is as good a time
> as any to give up.
>
> While I probably haven't chosen the Right Way™ to ask (although I
> didn't, and still don't, see any other options), what I was really
> asking for was some reassuring signs from the development team
> (meaning: the -hackers members). I received none.

What sort of signs would you find reassuring? I'm a member of -hackers. I've
probably sent two emails to the list in the four or so years that I've been
a member. Nevertheless, I think it's useful to have around. For one thing,
the traffic is so low that I actually *read* the emails on it, whereas I
often miss emails to -devel unless someone CCs me. I don't have any
particularly strong opinions about what the list policies should be, but I
am in favor of keeping it.

Cheers,
Joe