On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 5:19 AM, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:

> You are viewing this from the "stack" angle.  But that is a complex
> view already.  The actual user view is
>
> A.
> \override sets a context-specific property value
> \revert removes a context-specific property value
> This works reliably.  If I ever need more complex stuff than that, I can
> look it up.
>
> And to make the "this works reliably" part work, we won't expose any
> isolated \temporary \override without matching \revert in LilyPond.

How do you plan to achieve this? If there are any commands using a
\temporary...\revert that spans for more than one timestep, I can always
nest them and I can always sneak in \overrides between the \temporary and
the \revert, just by putting music in parallel.

People have complained about \push/\pop being intolerably
> programmer-centric _terminology_, but terminology is cheap.  The
> underlying fear was "people won't understand what push/pop does", and
> that can't be cured by using prettier names but only by not doing
> anything hard to understand unless asked for it.

I think stacks are easy to understand, even for non-technical users. The
reason for avoiding push/pop is just to stop people from thinking "oh,
that's programming, it must be hard."

> LilyPond is _complex_, and sometimes one needs that complexity.  But we
> should try to keep simple things simple, and leave the need to
> understand complex behavior for when complex things are required.

While that's true, I think that a coherent and consistent whole is more
important than a slightly simpler beginner interface.

Cheers,
Joe